Thursday 6 June 2013

Twitter for Teachers



(Image courtesy of Creative Commons)

I love learning! My primary source of professional development over the past ten years has come from university courses. With the going rate for an international student being around 2000 dollars per unit, quality learning can be quite expensive.

Recently at the Vietnam Technology Conference, I was introduced to Twitter. Now, up to this point, I was extremely skeptical about social media. I had noticed how people were wasting hours on Facebook and was determined not to do the same.

At the technology conference, I saw for the first time how Twitter can be used for educational purposes. The key to it all is to create an account strictly for professional use. Identify quality educators to follow and learn from them. It is also important to share your successful lessons too, thus creating a professional learning network.

The same applies to other professions. If you are a manufacturing engineer, follow people in the same field. If you are a doctor, look for other doctors to learn from. For more information on how to set up a Twitter account, check out this guide from Edudemic which includes a video by Erin Klien. They have done a much better job of explaining Twitter than I ever could.

Follow me @brianlalor.

No comments:

Post a Comment