Tuesday 9 April 2013

English as a Second Language 1

I have been teaching English to second language learners for nine years now and would like to share what have been some successful strategies for me.

The first one is a 'Singing Cloze' activity.

Each week (or every second week), I identify a song that interests my class. I then print out the lyrics, but use white out (tipp-ex) to delete about 10 words. With a black pen and ruler, I draw a line where the word should be and then photocopy the sheets for the class.

I will then play the song via Youtube and have the students listen for the missing words. We then discuss new words in the song, the theme, genre and composer. We will sing the song together twice a day. This can be a nice transition between lessons and gives the students a fresh burst of energy.

By the end of the week, most of the students will know all the lyrics of the song. A lot of new vocabulary! Two favourites with my classes have been Big City Life and I'll be Missing You.

Keep on learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment